And now for the backlog. Last month, Joanne requested an Asian-themed karaoke party for her birthday, and we complied. My contribution was these shrimp and coconut spring rolls, and a terrible but heartfelt rendition of “These Eyes.” I was late to the party because it took me a while to figure out how to open the coconut, but in the end it was quite successful. But seriously, that coconut, it gave me trouble.
These coconut-opening instructions are very helpful, though I used different instructions which went approximately as follows:
- Using a screwdriver and hammer, poke a hole in the softest of the three holes in the coconut.
- Drain coconut milk through hole. Save for later use.
- Place coconut in oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and crack coconut open with hammer.
- Remove coconut meat by gently prying from shell with a sharp knife.
- Make sure all shell remnants are removed from meat before using.
Also, I do not like shrimp, but most people seem to like shrimp, so yeah.
The recipe is here, at Epicurious.com